Follow Grace_For_Life on Twitter

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Quia Amasti Me, Fecisti Me Amabilem

I took two years of Latin in High School. We're talking back in the late 60's, and since there are so few people for a Protestant to practice it on, I've forgotten at LEAST 99 per cent of it.

But I still kinda love it, at least in short pithy bursts, like E Pluribus Unum ("out of many, one").

Anyway, with all the talk in modern times of self-worth, self-esteem, and other psycho-babblic stuff, I was refreshed by a simple statement I recently read by Augustine:

Quia Amasti Me, Fecisti Me Amabilem

Now you Latin scholars are ahead of me, but it's actually a logical argument called a syllogism, though some premises are missing and merely "understood".

Here is the simple translation, as speaking to the Lord (Domine):

"Because you loved me, you made me lovable."

I love that.

No comments: